Brief; to creare an installation to fill a window based on our memories of our summer, through using our primary sources of drawing, photos, videos, found objects, leaflets etc which we colleted over our 6 week break.
Proposal: I aim to have strong links between my work and the artists which I research and aim to also utilise my experiemnts in an effective way. It will all be contained in a small window. I hope I can reflect my summer experience clearly and creatively.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Audrey Flack

"She has taken the signs of indulgence, beauty, and excess and transformed them into deeply moving symbols of desire, futility, and emancipation."

Flack (1931) is an American born sculpture, printmaker and most famously photorealist paint. Over the years has won many awards.

Flacks work is very interesting and exciting; the extreme detail the precision in her working is amazing. I like how she gathers thing from a memory or memories brings them all together takes a photo then paints from the photo. It’s interesting how she paints from the photo not just straight from the objects?
I think it would be extremely difficult for me to create a response to Flacks work and I struggle with creating photo realism, I will try and take Flack attention to detail and reflect in my work. I am interesting in understanding the random-ness of the objects and how they reflect a memory to Flack how ever the view would take something completely different from the objects.
I tried to create a response using the objects which I collected over the summer, I tried to layer a lot of my objects on top of each other, I really struggles with getting things to be coming from different angles. After photographing my arrangement like Flack does. After that I photo copied the photo and tries to paint on to the clear line photo copy. I found this very challenging to get it too the huge amount of detail Flack reflects in her work. Also I understand how time conduming it would take to paint a whole picture. After trying to paint the whole of my image in such detail, I found it extremely difficult as painting is not one of my strong suits, it was really hard work for me to look at all of the detail and trying to make it look as like the photo as possible, and in the more realistic way.

Flack mainly uses paint on to canvas for her work, after arranging a wide range of objects to create a feeling, mood to the vibe of a person.  Flack collects an arraignment of objects and places them in interesting and exciting ways, she often tries to make things feel like they are coming from different angles.

I hope to arrange the objects in my window in a Flack style, as I'm going to fill shelves at the back of my window and I hope to fill them in a full way in which Flack does, also I will think about the way the objects are formed together in different angles as Flack does.


After looking at the work of Flack, I think her work strongly link to window design which I'm very interested in. I saw this window in a Topshop store and thought it was very similar to a lot of Flacks work. 

2 comments:

  1. You should get your responces for this artist up as quick as you can. Do the same for any artist you have responces for.
    You can also seperate the artists and responces into 2 headings on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely responses! Maybe consider saying how this might be a part of your final piece?

    ReplyDelete